Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Adrian's Old Parish Church, Flisk

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name St Adrian's Old Parish Church, Flisk

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 31850

Site Number NO32SW 7

NGR NO 3138 2248

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/31850

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Flisk
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO32SW 7 3138 2248.

(NO 3138 2248) Church (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map (1959)

The old parish church of Flisk, which stood nearly in the centre of the graveyard, was taken down in 1790 and replaced by the present church, a few yards to the NE (at NO 3139 2249). It is mentioned in 1176, and was re-dedicated in 1242, the dedication being to St Adrian, also known as St Magridin.

Name Book 1854; H Scott 1950

At the published site there is only a slight platform. The dedication could not be confirmed.

Visited by OS (RD) 10 June 1970

Following on from work carried out previously (DES 1999, 45), surveys were made of several churchyards in Fife.

NO 313 224 52 memorials were recorded. A study was made of related records including death records.

Reports have been lodged with Fife Council Archaeology Unit and the NMRS.

Sponsors: Fife Council Archaeology Unit, Fife Family History Society, RCAHMS.

S Farrell 2000.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions