Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Colonsay, Balnahard, Cill Chaitriona

Cross Slab (Early Medieval)

Site Name Colonsay, Balnahard, Cill Chaitriona

Classification Cross Slab (Early Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Cill Cairine, Cnoc Corr

Canmore ID 318475

Site Number NR49NW 1.01

NGR NR 4214 9990

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/318475

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Colonsay And Oronsay
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Activities

Field Visit (May 1977)

Cruciform Stones:

One of these stones (number 1) was found lying in the enclosure shortly before 1881, when it was presented to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland. The other stands at the NW angle of the enclosure.

(1) Cruciform slab, probably of epidiorite. The top and right arms are broken, and it measures 0.98m in incomplete

height by 0.27m across the arms, the original span being about 0.31m. The surviving side-arm has a projection of

50mm, and the armpits are square. On one face the margin of the upper part of the shaft and the cross-head has been cut back, leaving in low relief an irregular interlace of broad bands. These enclose in the cross-head four holes, 25mm in diameter, pierced through the slab and surrounded by raised margins. (Stevenson 1881; Allen and Anderson 1903; Loder 1935).

(2) Cruciform slab of local siliceous flagstone, probably /B ofTorridonian age. It measures 0.88m in visible height and

the shaft tapers in width from 0.23m at base to 0.16m below the cross-head, which has been defined simply by rounded

notches cut into the edges of the slab to form its armpits. The stone is much worn through use by cattle as a rubbing-post, and it is uncertain whether the side-arms ever projected beyond the width of the shaft. (Loder 1935).

Visited May 1977

RCAHMS 1984

Reference (2001)

Drystone chapel of St Catherine in trapezoidal enclosure.

(1) Cruciform slab lacking the top and right arm, 0.98m by about 0.31m in original span. The armpits are square and the head and upper shaft contain interlace of broad bands which in the head encloses four piercings with raised margins. (NMS X. IB 42)

I Fisher 2001

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions