Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glascory

Building (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glascory

Classification Building (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 317534

Site Number NG92SE 26

NGR NG 9777 2001

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/317534

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Glenshiel
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Activities

Field Visit (26 August 1997 - 26 August 1997)

Just to the E of the track down Glen Lichd and built against the stone dyke of enclosure KIN066 is a rectangular stone building c11m by c4m over walls c0.9m wide, aligned NW/SE. The walls are of dressed stone which are laid in courses surviving up to 0.5m high. It is unclear whether the walls were mortar bonded. The NW gable is abutted by the post and wire fence which runs from the track to the river Lichd.

This is a 19th century building constructed in connection with sheep farming. It is likely to have been used as a store or barn rather than as a dwelling. The building was shown as roofed in 1874 but was unroofed by 1902.

Information from NTS: KIN065 (JH and JW) 26th August 1997

NTS Survey

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions