Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Gauldry, Bridie's Well

Well (14th Century)

Site Name Gauldry, Bridie's Well

Classification Well (14th Century)

Alternative Name(s) St Bride's Well

Canmore ID 31738

Site Number NO32SE 12

NGR NO 3768 2368

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Balmerino
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO32SE 12 3769 2369.

(NO 3769 2369) Bridie's Well (NR)

OS 6" map (1959)

"Bridii's Wel" is mentioned in a charter dated between 1328 and 1332, and from the ancient connection of Balmerino with St Bridgid's monastery of Abernethy, Bridii's Wel, or Brides Well may have been dedicated to, or named after St Bridgid or Bride. Due to the drainage of the land, this well cannot now be identified with certainty, but the one beside the open space and green in the S part of Gauldry seems to fit the position of Bride's Well, as described in the charter.

J Campbell 1894

This well is now in the form of an earth mound with a wooden inspection doorway in the south face.

Visited by OS (JLD) 2 November 1956

The well has been covered over and the water piped away. There is nothing to be seen at the site (Mr Bryce, Druimfas, Gauldry).

Visited by OS (RD) 11 June 1970

Architecture Notes


St Bride's well is mentioned in a 14th century document settling a boundary dispute - see Charters of Balmerino Abbey.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions