Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stirling, 9 Lower Castlehill, Blacksmith's Workshop

Smithy (19th Century)

Site Name Stirling, 9 Lower Castlehill, Blacksmith's Workshop

Classification Smithy (19th Century)

Canmore ID 317243

Site Number NS79SE 891

NGR NS 79230 93999

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Stirling
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire


Measured Survey (22 December 2011)

Alder Archaeology Ltd recorded a former church hall near Stirling Castle in advance of emergency stabilisation by Stirling Council. The work was done on 22nd December 2011, and given the site code ST23. The building dates from 1883. It is modest in scale, but of surprisingly high quality, in design, materials and craftsmanship. The roof is obviously in a poor state, but the shell is generally sound, more so than might have been expected. The present record will be of assistance in guiding future repairs. If earlier photographs or drawings survive, showing the building before its conversion to a workshop, this may also help to inform restoration.

Information from Oasis (alderarc1-119058) 15 February 2012


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions