Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kingoodie, Woodland Way, West Pier

Pier (18th Century)

Site Name Kingoodie, Woodland Way, West Pier

Classification Pier (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) West Quarry Pier; River Tay

Canmore ID 31723

Site Number NO32NW 21

NGR NO 33894 29253

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2023.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Longforgan (Perth And Kinross)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO32NW 21 33894 29253

For associated quarry (centred NO 3387 2950), see NO32NW 19.

(Location cited as NO 340 293). Piers and quays, Kingoodie, 18th to 19th century. A somewhat decayed stretch of quayed seashore, with a short pier made of quarry waste. Operated in connection with the nearby sandstone quarries.

J R Hume 1977.

The pier and quays at Kingoodie all seem to be of nineteenth-century date, and are of little archaeological interest, but the following features are worth noting for purposes of comparison:

(i) The very large, well-coursed blocks and slabs used in the pier and wharfage;

(ii) an arched culvert under the pier, presumably intended to give passage to tidal currents to clear out silt;

(iii) a massive stone pawl, circular in section and standing 3ft 4in high above a base 3ft 2 in deep;

(iv) remains of a small timber landing-stage, for use at low water, running out beyond the pierhead.

A Graham 1971.


Publication Account (2013)

KINGOODIE QUARRY and Piers (West and East)

Invergowrie, Perth and Kinross

Kingoodie Quarry (NO32NW 19) was geologically and, located by the sea, physically able to supply large sandstone blocks that were especially suitable as engine foundations or for docks like London’s East and West India Docks, Dundee’s Victoria Dock and Esplanade. The quarry closed closed in 1876, to briefly re-open in 1893-1904.

A dog-legged pier (West Pier, NO32NW 21) for stone export is mostly C18th, a top course of ashlar added in 1814 the date carved on a fallen stone pawl). There is an arched culvert through west pier to clear silt, but the quays are being broken by wave action. The quarries (NO32NW 19), skirted by the railway to Perth, are filled with water.

M Watson, 2013


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions