Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dumbarton, Church Street, Burgh Hall

Town Hall (19th Century)

Site Name Dumbarton, Church Street, Burgh Hall

Classification Town Hall (19th Century)

Canmore ID 316909

Site Number NS37NE 218

NGR NS 39814 75277

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/316909

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Dumbarton
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Activities

Publication Account (1999)

The Burgh Hall figure 23.F, built as the new town academy and also on Church Street, dates from 1865 and is by Melvin and Leiper. A large, imposing, Gothic building, it has had several uses, although it is now in a poor state of repair.

Information from ‘Historic Dumbarton: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1999).

Archaeological Evaluation (24 August 2015 - 1 October 2015)

Due to the proximity of the medieval core of Dumbarton, an archaeological evaluation was undertaken by GUARD Archaeology Ltd across the former site of the Burgh hall located near the junction of Castle Street and Church Street. A number of evaluation trenches and boreholes were opened up, revealing that the Site has been extensively developed and redeveloped during the eighteenth and twentieth century. The evaluation demonstrated that the potential for surviving archaeology is limited due to the extent of demolition material. No archaeological features were encountered other than the remains of a possible air raid/explosion shelter associated with the gas works.

Information from OASIS ID: guardarc1-228324 (C Shaw) 2015

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions