Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Paisley, Grahamston Road, Dykebar Hospital Villa 20

Hospital Ward (20th Century)

Site Name Paisley, Grahamston Road, Dykebar Hospital Villa 20

Classification Hospital Ward (20th Century)

Canmore ID 316900

Site Number NS46SE 636

NGR NS 49742 61782

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/316900

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Renfrewshire
  • Parish Paisley (Renfrew)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Renfrew
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Site Management (24 January 1995)

Built as the Renfrew District Asylum; colony-type mental hospital, last of the group first seen at Kingseat (opened 1904), and Bangour. Designed by T G Abercrombie, and opened 1909, though some blocks were built subsequently (see Notes column). Most buildings constructed of stugged and snecked red ashlar with polished dressings, glazing commonly small-paned sash and case, sometimes with top hoppers; slate roofs throughout. Architectural ornament is restrained, but where used, is Edwardian Baroque in character.

Dykebar was built to serve Renfrewshire with the exception of the burghs of Paisley and Johnstone, both of which already had mental hospital provision. When opened, the hospital comprised the central administration block plus hospital admission wings on each side, two male and two female villas and a reception house, together with medical superintendent's house and the service buildings, and the lodge. In 1914, the nurses' home and a further two villas were added to the site. Large addition opened 1975, not included in listing. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions