Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Hoy, Lyness, Royal Naval Oil Terminal

Military Signalling Site (20th Century), Naval Signal Station (20th Century)

Site Name Hoy, Lyness, Royal Naval Oil Terminal

Classification Military Signalling Site (20th Century), Naval Signal Station (20th Century)

Canmore ID 314657

Site Number ND39SW 135

NGR ND 3039 9468

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/314657

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Orkney Islands
  • Parish Walls And Flotta
  • Former Region Orkney Islands Area
  • Former District Orkney
  • Former County Orkney

Activities

Ground Survey (9 November 2010)

ND 30996 94650 (centred on) A walkover survey was

undertaken on 9 November 2009 to identify surviving extant

wartime buildings that were part of the Lyness Naval Base.

These would form points of interest along the route of a

circular, self guided leaflet trail. The survey identified 10

previously unknown sites.

ND 3111 9487 [ND39SW 129] A large military air raid shelter consisting

of two double door entrances and dog legging passageways

that end in a central rectangular cell with ceiling ventilation

shafts. The shelter was constructed of cast reinforced

concrete.

ND 3102 9483 – ND 3106 9484 [ND39SW 130] Two small Anderson type

air raid shelters and the demolished remains of a third.

They were constructed of prefabricated curving reinforced

concrete sections bolted together along the central apex of

the roof and built into the northern earth bund surrounding

the WW2 Fleet Repair Base.

ND 3097 9464 [ND39SW 131] A small Anderson type air raid shelter of the

same construction as those mentioned above. It is located

between the rear wall of the pumping station (ND39SW

20.01) and the N–S aligned earth bund to the W of the pump

house.

ND 3114 9458 [ND39SW 132] A concrete boat slipway originally built in

WW1, deepened and issued with a new cradle in 1941 as

part of the Boat Repair Works.

ND 3104 9438 [ND39SW 133] Drifter repair slipway constructed from

reinforced concrete between the N and W piers (ND39SW

20.14 and ND39SW 17).

ND 3112 9482 [ND39SW 134] A base repair workshop building, part of

the Fleet Repair Base. Large brick built shed with corrugated

asbestos roof and large wooden sliding doors in E elevation.

ND 3113 9479 [ND39SW 134] A joinery shop and foundry building, part

of the Fleet Repair Base and constructed in the same way as

the repair workshop.

ND 3039 9468 [ND39SW 135] A naval signals station built of rectangular

concrete, brick and corrugated asbestos and surrounded

by a concrete blast wall. It served as the telephone and

teleprinter exchange for Lyness Naval Base August 1939–

September 1944.

ND 2045 9459 [ND39SW 136] A military observation site built of brick

and rendered in concrete this rectangular building is

identifiable by a small second storey tower observation post

with thin horizontal slit windows. It is attached to a timber

prefabricated hut which is in an advanced state of decay.

The observation building served as the main control centre

for the Lyness Naval Base Air Raid Precaution System.

Report: Orkney SMR and RCAHMS

Funder: Scapa Flow Landscape Partnership Scheme

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions