Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Silverburn House, Offices

Flax Mill (19th Century), Office(S) (Period Unassigned), Stable(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Silverburn House, Offices

Classification Flax Mill (19th Century), Office(S) (Period Unassigned), Stable(S) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Silverburn House Estate; Silverburn House Policies

Canmore ID 31337

Site Number NO30SE 24.01

NGR NO 39381 01948

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/31337

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Scoonie (Kirkcaldy)
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Kirkcaldy
  • Former County Fife

Architecture Notes

NO30SE 24.01 39381 01948

Stables and offices converted from a flax mill shown on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Fife and Kinross 1855, sheet 25). The cottages (see NO30SE 24.02) were probably built for the flax mill workers. The mill was connected to the railway system by a short spur to the E.

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 9 August 1999.

Site Management (20 June 2002)

Single and 2-storey, approximate T-plan, classically-detailed small industrial range converted to agricultural use. Brick with large ashlar quoins and original corrugated-iron roofs. Partial band course. Round-headed openings and segmental recessed arches; lunette windows. Boarded timber doors. Small-pane glazing patterns (some with lying panes) in timber casement windows. Corrugated-iron roofs, ashlar skews where gabled. Brick ridge stacks.

David Russell leased Silverburn from the Durie Estate sometime before 1855, and Arthur Russell purchased the land in 1866. He rebuilt Silverburn House and opened a flax mill. In 1973 Major Russell gifted the Silverburn Estate to Leven Town Council and the National Trust for Scotland. The offices (mill buildings) were opened as a 'mini farm' in 1985. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions