Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cuaich Weir

Weir (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Cuaich Weir

Classification Weir (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Tummel Garry Hydroelectric Power Scheme

Canmore ID 312845

Site Number NN68NE 14

NGR NN 67424 86763

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kingussie And Insh
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Badenoch And Strathspey
  • Former County Inverness-shire


Field Visit (2010)

This weir allows for the regulation of compensation water and intake water for Cuaich station. This is a relative small feature of broadly standard functional design. National Archives of Scotland (NAS), Ref: NSE North of Scotland Hydro Electric Board Collection (1943 -1990); NAS, Ref: NSE1 North of Scotland Hydro Electric Board Minutes (1943-1990); NAS, Ref NSE2 North of Scotland Hydro Electric Board Annual Reports (1943-1990); PL Payne, 1988, 54; J Miller, 2002, 42: E Wood, 2002, 157-169; Scottish Hydro Electric, 2000, 18; J Gifford, 2007, 671; C Liddell, 1993, 15, 110.

Note (25 October 2023)

The Tummel-Garry hydroelectric power Scheme

The second of the Hydro Board's schemes was an extension of the Grampian Electricity Company's scheme. The Clunie Dam was constructed at the east end of Loch Tummel, increasing its size. A tunnel connects to Clunie power station below the Falls of Tummel. A dam was built at the east end of Loch Errochty whose water was fed by a tunnel and pipeline to a power station at the head of Loch Tummel. Finally, the River Tummel was impounded at Pitlochry forming Loch Faskally. The power station here is built into the dam and incorporates a fish ladder to allow salmon to pass. Loch Faskally forms a balancing reservoir for fluctuations in flow due to the Clunie power station's operations.

The scheme produces a total of 150,000 kW. Work started in 1946 and experienced similar problems to Loch Sloy due to shortages of labour and material, being completed in 1951.

This account relates to the Scottish Hydro collection of photographic images held at HES, Edinburgh. Compiled by a volunteer, Mr George Walker in 2005.

Information from HES (Miriam McDonald), 25 October 2023.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions