Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Abergeldie Castle, Suspension Bridge

Suspension Bridge (19th Century)

Site Name Abergeldie Castle, Suspension Bridge

Classification Suspension Bridge (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Abergeldie Castle Footbridge; River Dee; Balmoral Estate; Abergeldie Castle Policies

Canmore ID 31145

Site Number NO29NE 16

NGR NO 28736 95356

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/31145

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Crathie And Braemar
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NO29NE 16 28736 95356

Suspension Bridge [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1972.

(Location cited as NO 287 953). Suspension footbridge, Abergeldie Castle. Built 1885, engineers Blaikie Brothers, Aberdee, A wood and angle-iron deck supported from two pairs of wire-rope cables by iron-rod suspenders. The railings are of light woven wire, and the pylons, with ornamental heads, are of lattice-girder construction on concrete bases. Private, built at the expense of Queen Victoria. See The Engineer, 60 (1885), 102-3.

J R Hume 1977a.

(Suspension bridge of wire rope and unstiffened deck type with iron or steel pylons: location cited as NO 287 953). Built 1885 by Blaikie Bros., Aberdeen, engineers. Lattice-girder pylons, wire-rope cables (two on each side), rod suspenders, iron-framed wooden deck, woven wire railings. Private footbridge.

J R Hume 1977b.

(Location cited as NO 288 953). Abergeldie Castle Bridge. This private footbridge was built in 1885, and is in a relatively poor state of repair, being rusty and evidently out of use. Situated 1.5 miles E of Balmoral Castle (NO29NE 15.00), it was built by Blaikie Brothers at Queen Victoria's expense for the benefit of her guests using Abergeldie Castle (NO29NE 1.00). Two wire rope cables and iron rod suspenders hold the wooden deck; the lattice towrs are linked with a pretty ironwork bar. The railing is a light woven wire, and steep steps lead up to the gate.

G Nelson 1990.

This short bridge carries a footpath across the River Dee to the NE of Abergeldie Castle (NO29NE 1.00). The river here forms the boundary between the parishes of Crathie & Braemar (to the S) and Glenmuick, Tullich & Glangairn (to the N).

The location assigned to this record defines the centre of the span.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 10 January 2006.

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

Abergeldie Castle Footbridge (Private)

This private suspension bridge of 146 ft span about 1 1/2 miles east of Balmoral was built across the Dee in 1885 by Blaikie Brothers, Aberdeen. It is said to have been erected forQueen Victoria to enhance access to the castle. The deck is suspended by iron rods from two sets of wire cables

supported from lattice towers.

The bridge replaced a cableway for transporting goods across the river at the castle. [The bridge is described in The Engineer, 7 August 1885]

R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Highlands and Islands' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions