Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Peel Of Lintrathen

Castle (Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Peel Of Lintrathen

Classification Castle (Medieval)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Easter Peel

Canmore ID 31082

Site Number NO25SE 4

NGR NO 2634 5392

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/31082

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Lintrathen
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO25SE 4 2634 5392

(Centred NO 2635 5403) Moat (NR) (Track of)

OS 6" map (1862)

See also NO25SE 2.

A slight hollow immediately west of Easter Peel farmhouse is locally believed to be a remnant of the moat which surrounded the castle of Sir Alan Durward, who was active during the reign of Alexander III (1249-86). Its ruins were visible in 1794 and the farm-house is believed to stand on its site.

This was presumably the Peel of Lintrathen where the Durwards kept the Bell of St Madden (NO25SE 3) until their male line died out c.1400

(See also NO25SE 2 - Deer Park)

OSA 1794; Name Book 1863; NSA 1843 (F Cannan); A J Warden 1884; D Fraser 1956

There is no trace of a moat round Easter Peel farm-house which occupies what would be a poor site for a castle. To the south of the farm, however, at NO 2634 5392 is a more suitable site - a low, disturbed knoll within a sub-rectangular enclosure, which is apparent as a crop- mark on AP (RAF/CPE.Scot.UK.267:3205), but is visible on the ground

only as a spread, unsurveyable hollow on the west.

Surveyed at 25" from AP.

Visited by OS (JP) 29 September 1970

There are no visible remains of the Peel of Lintrathen, a residence of the Durwards until about 1400, although cropmarks reveal a possible enclosure immediately S of the modern farmhouse of Peel (NO 263 539)

OSA 1794; NSA 1843; A J Warden 1884; RCAHMS 1984.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions