Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

South Cuil

Building Platform (Period Unassigned), Farmhouse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name South Cuil

Classification Building Platform (Period Unassigned), Farmhouse (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) South Cuil 2

Canmore ID 308820

Site Number NM95NE 9.04

NGR NM 9833 5508

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/308820

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Lismore And Appin (Lochaber)
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Argyll

Activities

Field Visit (1 August 2008 - 1 October 2008)

Walking around and within sites: Measured.

Reference (1 August 2008 - 1 October 2008)

Old photographs and Ordnance Survey maps.

Srp Note (7 February 2011)

This farmhouse was built between 1871 (1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire and Buteshire 1871, sheet xliii)) and 1883 (Erskine Bevridge photograph) [see 3 South Cuil]. It had become ruinous by the end of the Second World War but cartographic and photographic evidence shows that it was a T-shaped building with the dwelling quarters at the front and the leg of the T being for agricultural purposes. It was single storied with a couple of skylights suggesting an attic. It had three gables two being chimneyed. The roof of the leg of the T is at a lower level than the rest of the building. Unlike the other holdings on South Cuil this one was a croft, the other three being small-holdings -a big difference legally.

Adjacent to this there are the footings of another building. (NM9840/5511) Looking at 1st and 2nd Ordnance Survey maps this was probably present before the changes that occurred between 1871 and 1883. It can just be made out in the background a photograph by Erskine Beveridge taken on 14th July 1883. [see Possible Fish Trap].

What was left of it was severely damaged when a modern barn was erected and only a few stones can now be identified

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions