Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kinloch Mausoleum, Chapelton

Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Mausoleum (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Kinloch Mausoleum, Chapelton

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Mausoleum (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Chapelton Of Balbrogie; Kinloch House, Mausoleum

Canmore ID 30834

Site Number NO24SE 22

NGR NO 27248 44188

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/30834

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Meigle
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO24SE 22 27248 44188

(NO 2725 4418) Mausoleum on Site of Chapel (NR)

(Undated) annotation on OS map.

A pre-Reformation chapel formerly stood on the exact site of the present mausoleum, the remaining walls of the old chapel being demolished at the erection of the modern building. A modern mausoleum (1861) of the Kinlochs of Kinloch. There are no traces of the earlier chapel known as St Mary's chapel.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

The mausoleum of the Kinlochs of Kinloch (1861) is said to have been erected upon the site of a pre-Reformation chapel. It stands next to the former farm of Chapelton (now just a single cottage) which appears at this location on the maps of Roy and Stobie. Although 3.5km from Balbrogie, it may well be the Chapelton of Balbrogie and the chapel beneath the mausoleum that of St Mary at Balbrogie (NO24SW 55).

Visited by RCAHMS (PC) 28 November 1989.

Roy's Map; J Stobie; OS Name Book; Rental Book of Coupar Angus Abbey.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions