Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Old Mains Of Rattray

Architectural Fragment(S) (Period Unassigned), Lairds House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Old Mains Of Rattray

Classification Architectural Fragment(S) (Period Unassigned), Lairds House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Laird's House

Canmore ID 30793

Site Number NO24NW 48

NGR NO 20650 45260

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/30793

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Rattray
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO24NW 48 20650 45260

For Castle of Rattray (NO 2099 4539) see NO24NW 21.

Oblong, two-storeyed laird's house erected by David Crichton in 1694.

NMRS Report 1966-71

Derelict.

Visited by OS 8 February 1974.

The roofless ruin of this late 17th-century laird's house stands beside the farm track 550m WNW of Mains of Rattray steading. It is rectangular on plan measuring 12.40m by 5.65m over clay-bonded walls 0.75m thick, two storeys and an attic in height, and originally had a symmetrical five-bay frontage. The lintel of the entrance-doorway bears a weathered armorial on which, in 1967, the date 1694 and the inscription DAVID (CRIC)HTON were still legible. A number of roll-mouldings, notably in the NW gable, are probably also of this period. In the early 18th century and later the building was remodelled and extended. An out-building, 28m to the W, which is probably of late 18th- or early 19th-century date, incorporates a chamfer-arrised fireplace and a gun-loop.

Visited by RCAHMS (IMS) August 1987.

Old Mains of Rattray is a late 17th-century laird's house which was remodelled and extended in 1720 and again about 1800; at the date of visit it was roofless, and the gutted interior was choked with debris. Rectangular on plan (12.4m from NW to SE by 5.65m tranversely over clay- bonded rubble walls, which were originally harled, 0.75m thick), it is two storeys and an attic in height, and has a remodelled symmetrical five-bay frontage, the ingoes and relieving arches of the original windows being still apparent. Details include a weathered lintel over the entrance (bearing the name and arms of David Chrichton and the date 1694), cavetto-moulded skew-putts carved with human heads, and an original ground-floor fireplace. The attic windows are wrought with roll-moulded surrounds. These may be contemporary with the house but it is as likely that they are in re-use (there is a moulded fragment at eaves level in the NE wall); a keyhole gunloop is in re-use in the 1720 kitchen outshot on the NW side of the house, and another may be seen in the wall of an outbuilding some 30m to the W.

Visited by RCAHMS (IMS) April 1989.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions