Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bridge Of Weir, River Gryfe, Bridge Of Weir Dam No. 2

Dam (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Bridge Of Weir, River Gryfe, Bridge Of Weir Dam No. 2

Classification Dam (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Red Dam

Canmore ID 307573

Site Number NS36NE 152

NGR NS 3873 6585

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Renfrewshire
  • Parish Kilbarchan
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Renfrew
  • Former County Renfrewshire


Field Visit (2009)

Mill, lades, dams and tunnels

Stuart Nisbet

The surviving S footing of the Bridge of Weir Dam No 2 (‘Red Dam’) was recorded at NS 3873 6585 (see entry for Bridge of Weir Dams Nos 1, 3 and 4, under Houston parish).

Mill ruins were recorded at NS 3874 6582, and at the SE end of the site are the lower two-storey outer walls and

windows of the former six-storey cotton mill (1791), the site of an earlier Lint Mill (1760s).

A wheel pit and tailrace (NS 3875 6580) by-pass the W end of the Bridge of Weir Dam No 3, in a deep rock cleft (‘The Gully’), then feed the Bridge of Weir Dam No 4.

Archive: Detailed plan in Bridge of Weir History Society archive


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions