Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Alyth

Cross Slab (Pictish), Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Site Name Alyth

Classification Cross Slab (Pictish), Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Alternative Name(s) Alyth Manse; Alyth, Old Manse; Alyth High Kirk

Canmore ID 30756

Site Number NO24NW 14

NGR NO 2432 4875

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/30756

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Alyth
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT

Alyth (St Moluag), Perthshire, Pictish cross-slab

Measurements: H 1.37m, W 0.42m, D 0.15m

Stone type: greenish slate or gneiss

Place of discovery: NO c 2447 4880

Present location: in High Kirk porch.

Evidence for discovery: found in 1887 buried in front of the door to the Established Church Manse in Alyth, near the ruins of the old kirk.

Present condition: broken down the left-hand side but carving otherwise clear.

Description

This slab is carved on both broad faces in a mixture of incision and false relief. On face A there is an outline cross with a slender basal tenon, defined by a sunken groove. The centre of the cross-head is marked by a hollow, and the arms and shaft are filled with incised interlace of simple design, linked around the central hollow. In the four spaces between the arms and shaft there are large incised spirals, those on the left being damaged, as is the terminal of the left arm. Face C bears part of a double-disc and Z-rod with hatched internal decoration. The surviving upper left rod ends in a leaf-shape but bears no foliation.

Date: seventh century.

References: ECMS pt 3, 286-7; RCAHMS 1994, 96; Fraser 2008, no 176.

Compiled by A Ritchie 2016

Archaeology Notes

NO24NW 14 2432 4875.

(NO 2432 4875) A Class II symbol stone is in the porch of Alyth High Kirk (the old parish church). It was found in 1887 when levelling ground in front of the door of the Established Church manse at Alyth. It measures 4' 6" by 1' 7" by 6".

H Coutts 1970; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903

As described and illustrated. The Established Church Manse is at NO 2450 4885.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 29 September 1970

RCAHMS 1990.

Class II symbol stone with cross on the face and double-disc and Z-rod (damaged) on the reverse.

A.Mack 1997 p.44

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions