Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Balloch, Castle And Dovecot Well

Castle (Medieval), Dovecot (Period Unknown), Well (Post Medieval)

Site Name Balloch, Castle And Dovecot Well

Classification Castle (Medieval), Dovecot (Period Unknown), Well (Post Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Balloch House

Canmore ID 30703

Site Number NO24NE 24

NGR NO 2629 4957

NGR Description NO 2629 4957 and NO 2629 4968

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/30703

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Alyth
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO24NE 24 2629 4957 and 2629 4968

(NO 2629 4957) Castle (NR) (Site of)

(NO 2629 4968) Dovecot Well (NR)

OS 6" map (1959)

The farmstead of Balloch (NO24NE 82) occupies the site of a former castle of which there are now no traces, except for a few hewn stones built into the present structure. It was traditionally the seat of the Rollo family. Dovecot Well belonged to the castle, and the slope N of its is the remains of a knoll on which once stood a dovecot, extant up to probably about 1830.

Name Book 1865

There is now no trace of this castle or dovecot, but the Dovecot Well, stone lined and covered, still provides a good flow of water.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 24 September 1970

NO 262 495 SUAT Ltd was commissioned by HDC Architectural and Building Design Consultancy to undertake an archaeological watching brief on the conversion of a former steading at North Balloch near Alyth. The farmstead of North Balloch occupies the site of a former castle, of which there are no traces, except for a few hewn stones built into the present structure. It was traditionally the seat of the Rollo family, and "Belouch, in the lordship of Alicht" is on record in 1470. Stobie (1783) renders the name as "Ballock", and annotates it "Castle in ruins". Aside from the identification of possible reused sculpted stone in the fabric of the steading walls and a doorway formed with delicately grooved sandstone columns in the northwest corner of the central block of the steading little other remains relating to the castle were recovered. Watching briefs were carried out on 18th and 19th of April 2005, 23rd May 2006 and 17th and 20th April 2007.

Sponsor: HDC Architectural and Building Design Consultancy.

Chris Fyles and Derek Hall 2007.

Activities

Field Visit (November 1988)

There are no visible remains of a castle which stood on or close to the site now occupied by Balloch farmsteading, but a number of dressed stones incorporated in the fabric of the steading may have come from it. A dovecot stood some 100m to the N (NO 262 496).

The castle is said to have been the seat of the Rollo family; 'Belouch' in the lordship of 'Alicht' is on record by 1470. Stobie (1783a) gives the name as 'Ballock' and depicts and annotates it 'Castle in ruins'.

Visited by RCAHMS (IMS) November 1988.

RCAHMS 1990

Watching Brief (18 April 2005 - 20 April 2007)

NO 262 495 We undertook an archaeological watching brief on the conversion of a former steading at North Balloch near Alyth. The farmstead occupies the site of a former castle, of which there are now no traces except for a few hewn stones built into the present structure. It was traditionally the seat of the Rollo family, and ‘Belouch, in the lordship of Alicht’ is on record in 1470. Stobie (1783) renders the name as ‘Ballock’,

and annotates it ‘Castle in ruins’. Aside from the identification of possible reused sculpted stone in the fabric of the steading walls and a doorway formed with delicately grooved sandstone columns in the NW corner of the central block of the steading few remains relating to the castle were recovered. Watching briefs were carried out on 18–19 April 2005, 23 May 2006 and 17 and 20 April 2007.

Archive deposited with RCAHMS.

Funder: HDC Architectural and Building Design Consultancy.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions