Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Old Bridge Of Dean

Bridge (17th Century)

Site Name Old Bridge Of Dean

Classification Bridge (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Cardean

Canmore ID 30690

Site Number NO24NE 13

NGR NO 28782 45877

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Airlie
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO24SE 13.00 28782 45877

For incorporated architectural fragments, probably from Coupar Angus abbey (NO23NW 13), see NO24NE 13.01.

For the New Bridge of Dean, see NO24SE 67. The Old Bridge crosses the Dean Water between the parishes of Airlie and Meigle.

(NO 2878 4587) The Old Bridge of Dean has two semi-circular arches with a central cut-water carried up to refuges. It is 9' wide with its E parapet corbelled while the W has inset medieval stones. It dates to the 17th century or earlier, though the N arch was rebuilt late in the 19th century.

SDD List; A J Warden 1881

As described.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 23 September 1970

The N span has been broken, apparently by blasting.

Information from RCAHMS (IMS) 26 June 1990.

(Location cited as NO 287 458). Old Bridge of Dean, probably 17th century, reconstructed 1878. 2-span rubble bridge with semicircular arches and triangular cutwaters which may have been used as a pack bridge.

J R Hume 1976.


Photographic Survey (May 1963)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record in May 1963.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions