Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilconquhar

Milestone (19th Century)

Site Name Kilconquhar

Classification Milestone (19th Century)

Canmore ID 306898

Site Number NO40SE 400

NGR NO 48577 02063

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/306898

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Kilconquhar
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Activities

Field Visit (17 October 2010)

This milestone stands on the S side of the B941 public road, partly set into the N face of the boundary wall of the burial ground of Kilconquhar Church (NO40SE 187). It comprises a dressed block, measuring 0.38m square by 1m in height. The NW side of its triangular cast-iron cap indicates the distances of 12½ miles to Cupar, 9¾ miles to Ceres and 11 miles to St Andrews. The NE side indicates the distance of 0 mile to Kilconquhar, 1 and five-eighths miles to Elie and 1 and five-eighths miles to Earlsferry.

The stone is first depicted on the 2nd edition of the OS 25-inch map (Fife and Kinross 1893, Sheet XXII.13).

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) 17 October 2010.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions