Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dron Hill

Fort (Period Unassigned), Plantation Bank (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dron Hill

Classification Fort (Period Unassigned), Plantation Bank (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 30626

Site Number NO23SE 2

NGR NO 2891 3210

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/30626

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Longforgan (Perth And Kinross)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO23SE 2 2891 3210.

(NO 2891 3210) Fort (NR)

OS 6" map (1902)

An oval fort at 648' OD on Dron Hill, measures 330' x 250' overall with a small crescentic annexe to the N, and another large one to the S, springing from the same points of the oval.

The greatly dilapidated wall of the fort is generally grass-covered, but on the W side is a 100' row of large stones, closely set, probably the base of the outer face of a wall, the inner face of which is represented by a less complete row, 9' - 10' distant. Basal stones also occur on the S side, where the mound is 27' wide. The N and E sides have been almost completely destroyed.

The enclosing mounds of the annexes are not defensive. They are very low, only 6' or 7' wide, and are probably ruined walls.

D Christison 1900

The fort is generally as described by Christison. In addition to its main wall there are traces of three outer defences on the W, generally reduced to wall courses or scarps approximately 0.5m high. The main entrance is in the NW side and there may have been a second in the SE. The "annexes" are old field/plantation banks with which the entire work has been severely mutilated.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (RD) 5 February 1969

The fort is generally as described in previous field report. Apart from the later plantation banks, there is no sign of secondary occupation. Revised at 25".

Visited by OS (JM) 9 June 1976

Activities

Field Visit (22 April 1957)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Marginal Land Survey (1950-1962), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, are available to view online - see the searchable PDF in 'Digital Items'. These vary from short notes, to lengthy and full descriptions. Contemporary plane-table surveys and inked drawings, where available, can be viewed online in most cases - see 'Digital Images'. The original typecripts, notebooks and drawings can also be viewed in the RCAHMS search room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 19 July 2013.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions