Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lundie Parish Church And War Memorial

Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Lundie Parish Church And War Memorial

Classification Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Kirkton Of Lundie

Canmore ID 30543

Site Number NO23NE 13

NGR NO 29062 36610

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/30543

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Lundie
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Summary Record (12 July 2011)

C19 church with earlier Romanesque elements incorporated. The church was partially rebuilt in 1846 and again in 1892 by Thomas Saunders Robertson including addition of porch, new bellcote and the panelling of the interior of the church. The neo-classical Duncan Mausoleum by Robert Mylne of 1789 is now used as the vestry.

Archaeology Notes

NO23NE 13 29062 36610

For associated manse (NO 2905 3645), see NO23NE 25.

Ch [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1982.

(NO 2906 3661). Lundie parish church belonged to the priory of St Andrews, and was dedicated to St Lawrence. During recent renovations it was discovered that the church was of Norman origin. Not much remains of the original building - only the ashlar walls and a narrow window situated near the E end of the N wall. The apse appears to have been taken down in 1786, during some alterations, and the chancel arch (still seen externally) built up. A tomb was built on the site of the apse. The church was small, measuring c. 40' x 18'6". The top fragment of an aumbry, of late date, was found built into a wall near the church.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896

The external features of this church are wholly modern.

Visited by OS (JLD) 25 April 1958.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: Thomas S Robertson 1892. (Renovation).

Activities

Photographic Survey (28 February 2011)

Photographed for the Listed Buildings Area Survey.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions