Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Upper Harbour, Glasgow Bridge

Graffiti(S) (21st Century), Road Bridge (18th Century), Road Bridge (19th Century), Tag(S) (21st Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Upper Harbour, Glasgow Bridge

Classification Graffiti(S) (21st Century), Road Bridge (18th Century), Road Bridge (19th Century), Tag(S) (21st Century)

Canmore ID 303745

Site Number NS56SE 444

NGR NS 5876 6479

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/303745

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Activities

Construction (1768 - 1772)

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

A masonry seven-arch, 42 ft wide bridge designed by Mylne and built from 1768–72 by John Adam was replaced by the Thomas Telford Bridge of 1833-5. The progressive effects of navigational dredging had weakened the foundations.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.

Field Visit (28 September 2017)

There are numerous tags written in spray paint and marker pen, and stencils and stickers, on both the east and west parapets of Glasgow Bridge. There are also tags on the street furniture, including junction boxes, on the bridge.

Visited by HES Survey and Recording (JRS, AMcC) 28 September 2017.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions