Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Grove Street, Caledonian Railway Bridge

Railway Bridge (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Grove Street, Caledonian Railway Bridge

Classification Railway Bridge (19th Century)

Canmore ID 303560

Site Number NT27SW 4710

NGR NT 24387 73085

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/303560

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

The Caledonian Railway’s main line into Edinburgh, terminating at the east end of Princes Street in 1848, was closed in the 1960s and redeveloped as the West Approach Road in 1972, which conserved some of the company’s other historic retaining walls and bridges including the Grove Street plate-girder bridge.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions