Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Broomhill House

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Broomhill House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 300834

Site Number NS75SE 107

NGR NS 75483 50736

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/300834

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Dalserf
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Hamilton
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Activities

Reference (1792)

"Buildings.- Dalferf houfe, the refidence of Captain James Hamilton of Broomhill, is a neat modern building, ftanding upon an eminence, near the village of Dalferf, and commands a charming profpect, both up and down the Clyde. Broomhill houfe, which alfo belongs to the fame gentleman, and which was the feat of the ancient family of the Hamiltons of Broomhill, (the elder branch of which were created Lords Belhaven), ftands upon the top of the banks of the river Avon, in a fine airy fiuation, having a moft agreeable view of the country around, and of the river Avon, with its pleafant banks. Mr Hamilton, induced by the remarkable beauty of the fituation, is now building another houfe, upon an eminence above the village of Dalferf; which commands one of the moft extenfive and delightful profpects, that can well be imagined. "

Reference (1845)

'The house of Broomhill, formerly mentioned as having been burnt by Sir William Drury, Governor of Berwick [1568], was, we are told, but one room wide, and four stories high, with a bartisan. It was again repaired, and a turnpike added. It was called the Castle of Auld Machan."

Reference

"The mansion house of Broomhill, occupied by the Proprietor's brother, Captain McNeill Hamilton. The Offices belonging to the house are situated a short distance south east but they are also let as a farm bearing the name of 'Broomhill'"

Field Visit

Remains of Country House on artificial platform within light woodland over looking Avon. c.60m x 20m.

Rectangular remains of country house

Information from the Clyde and Avon Valley Landscape Partnership (Northlight Heritage), 2017

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions