Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inchrye

Motte (Medieval)

Site Name Inchrye

Classification Motte (Medieval)

Canmore ID 30020

Site Number NO21NE 11

NGR NO 2696 1655

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/30020

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Abdie
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO21NE 11 2696 1655.

(NO 2696 1655) Mote-Hill, Inchrye. - On the NE shore of Lindores Loch, but now separated from the water by the high road, is a small mote-hill lying 300 yards SW of the mansion of Inchrye Abbey. At one time surrounded by lochs of which only.... Lindores Loch... remains, the site has been singularly secure. The mount has been raised where the lower of two kaims... turns to merge in the higher. It is isolated on three sides.

It is circular on plan, and measures 51 1/2ft diameter at the base. It was formerly surrounded by a ditch, 5-10ft in breadth, now filled in. The summit, 19ft diameter, is 8 1/2ft above the level of the filled in ditch, and 26 1/2ft above the haugh from which the kaim rises.

RCAHMS 1933.

Generally as described by RCAHMS except that it is probable the ditch was on the NE side only. The base of the mound has been encircled by a footpath, now disused.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (J L D) 29 October 1956 and (W D J) 13 May 1970.

Activities

Field Visit (22 June 1925)

Mote-Hill, Inchrye.

On the north-eastern shore of Lindores Loch, but now separated from the water by the high road, is a small mote-hill lying 300 yards south-west of the mansion of Inchrye Abbey. At one time surrounded on all sides by lochs, of which only that just mentioned remains, the site has been singularly secure. The mount has been raised where the lower of two kaims, running roughly in echelon, turns to merge in the higher one. It is isolated on three sides, is circular on plan, and measures 51 ½ feet in diameter at base. It was formerly surrounded by a ditch, 5 to 10 feet in breadth, now filled in. The summit, 19 feet in diameter, is 8 ½ feet above the present level of the filled-in ditch and 26 ½ feet above the haugh from which the kaim rises.

RCAHMS 1933, visited 25 June 1925

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions