Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Bowling Harbour, West Pier, Entrance Light

Beacon (20th Century)

Site Name Bowling Harbour, West Pier, Entrance Light

Classification Beacon (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Bowling Basin; Forth And Clyde Canal; River Clyde

Canmore ID 298348

Site Number NS47SW 64.05

NGR NS 44705 73540

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/298348

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Old Kilpatrick (Dumbarton)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS47SW 64.05 c. 44710 73539

Harbour Light (flashing red) [NAT]

OS (GIS) Master Map, April 2009.

'Red metal column.'

[Admiralty] 1980.

This structure marks the entrance from the River Clyde into Bowling Harbour (NS47SW 64.00) and thence into the Western end of the Forth and Clyde Canal (NS47SE 82).

The precise location of this structure is not indicated on the OS MasterMap, and its nature remains unclear.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 7 April 2009.

Activities

Desk Based Assessment (20 November 2017)

A modern navigation light -- a thin steel pole supporting an electric lamp, stands on the end of the pier that forms the west side of the entrance into Bowling Harbour. The OS 1:1250 large scale map sheet (1965, NS4473NE) records it as a ‘harbour light (flashing red)’. Both the 3rd and 4th editions of the OS 25inch map (Dumbartonshire 1918 and 1939, Sheet n022.08) record the former presence of a flagstaff at this location which appears to have stood on a large square plinth that is still visible.

Information from HES Survey and Recording (AMcC) 20 November 2017.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions