Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Essential maintenance

HES is currently undertaking essential maintenance on our web services. This will limit access to services in the following ways:

- Subscription access for HES online services will be unavailable (Scran, NCAP)

 - Image purchasing options will be limited (Canmore, Britain from Above, Scran, NCAP)

 - Any enhanced services which require a log in will be unavailable (My Canmore, Britain from Above contributions, Scran contribute)

 General access to these services will all continue. Enquiries will still be able to be submitted.

 We anticipate services to be restored from Monday 1st February 2021.



Quay (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Ardtornish

Classification Quay (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Ardtornish Bay; Ardtornish Estate; Aird Toirinis

Canmore ID 296909

Site Number NM64SE 41

NGR NM 6929 4268

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Morvern
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM64SE 41 6929 4268

Pier [NAT]

OS 1:10,560 map, Argyll, sheet 55, 1900.

For Ardtornish House or Tower (NM 7033 4753) and related buildings, see NM74NW 13.


Project (1994 - 2005)

Survey of maritime sites including: Dartmouth: Eilean Rubha an Ridire; Evelyn Rose (Possibly): Ardtornish Point; Glen Carradale: Loch Aline Jetty; Hispania: Sgeir Mor; John Preston: Rubha Dearg; Loch Tearnait, Crannog; Pelican: Calve Island; Rondo: Dearg Sgeir; Shuna: Rubha Aird Seisg; Strathbeg: Cnap A' Chailbhe; Swan: Duart Point; Thesis: Rubha an Ridire; Unknown: Calve Island; Unknown: Scallaslte Bay and a stone quay and Ardtornish.

Measured Survey (18 August 1995 - 25 August 1995)

(Location cited as NM 693 428). Ardtornish Bay: stone quay. The remains of an old stone quay were identified while walking along the rocky western shore of Ardtornish Bay, adjacent to Ardtornish Castle. The pier does not appear on Admiralty chart 2155 (surveyed 1851) so must post-date this.

On the landward side, a rough track supported by a stone retaining wall, leads from Ardtornish Steading (NM64SE 18)(built in c. 1800), down to the quay. Two phases on activity are apparent. The older remains consist of the track, retaining wall and seven squared blocks visible around low water and laid edge-to-edge (length of the remaining quay is 4.65m) onto basalt bedrock. These blocks appear to be sandstone and two drilling holes were seen in one of them. Diving surveys confirmed that the remains of the facing stones and rubble infill of the quay now cover the rocky slope below mean low water springs. A second phase of construction post-dates the collapse of the earlier pier and is evident in the form of rough mortar/cement steps leading down to the rock edge and several ferrous mooring bolts/rings.

It seems likely that the early phase is associated with expansion work around 1846 to Ardtornish Steading (NM64SE 18), the demolition in 1907 of Old Ardtornish House (NM64SE 15) or with 19th- and early 20th- century restoration activity at the castle (NM64SE 1).

Note (11 November 2008)

This feature is variously cited as a pier and a quay. The latter is preferred, following Robertson.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 11 November 2008.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions