Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Poldhu

Well(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Poldhu

Classification Well(S) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Poldhu Wells Restoration (Adopt-a-monument)

Canmore ID 295316

Site Number NJ40SW 75

NGR NJ 43495 03575

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/295316

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Logie-coldstone
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ40SW 75 43495 03575

NJ 43495 03575 The wells at Poldhu appear on the 1st Edition 6 inch OS map, but there is reason to believe that they were established some time before that. Two of the wells are granitelined constructions approx 1.2m2. The third exists merely as a seep in the ground and its position is a matter of conjecture.

Since 1912, when a photograph shows the wells in good order, they have become completely overgrown with rhododendron and a layer of leaf mould (up to 0.30m) has accumulated on the site. A desire by the people of Logie Coldstone to restore the site led to an approach to the CSA and a request for inclusion in their 'Adopt a Monument' scheme. Work was planned to take place between March 2007 and June 2008. The Craigmyle Estate, on whose land the wells are situated, has cleared the rhododendron and the site has been cleared of leaf mould to reveal the original

path. A drain has been installed around it to deal with water logging.

A copy will be deposited with RCAHMS upon completion of project.

Funder: The Cairngorms National Park Community Investment Programme with contributions from the Cairngorms National Park Authority, Scottish Natural Heritage and Cairngorms LEADER+

Nigel Healey, 2007

Activities

Conservation (March 2007 - June 2008)

NJ 43495 03575 The wells at Poldhu appear on the 1st Edition 6 inch OS map, but there is reason to believe that they were established some time before that. Two of the wells are granitelined constructions approx 1.2m2. The third exists merely as a seep in the ground and its position is a matter of conjecture.

Since 1912, when a photograph shows the wells in good order, they have become completely overgrown with rhododendron and a layer of leaf mould (up to 0.30m) has accumulated on the site. A desire by the people of Logie Coldstone to restore the site led to an approach to the CSA and a request for inclusion in their 'Adopt a Monument' scheme. Work was planned to take place between March 2007 and June 2008. The Craigmyle Estate, on whose land the wells are situated, has cleared the rhododendron and the site has been cleared of leaf mould to reveal the original

path. A drain has been installed around it to deal with water logging.

A copy will be deposited with RCAHMS upon completion of project.

Funder: The Cairngorms National Park Community Investment Programme with contributions from the Cairngorms National Park Authority, Scottish Natural Heritage and Cairngorms LEADER+

Nigel Healey, 2007

Conservation (June 2008 - October 2008)

NJ 43495 03575 The well culverts which run from the wells to the adjacent burn were excavated and recorded during June–October 2008. Blockages were cleared from the culverts and they were relined to minimise the risk of future blockage before being rebuilt. A new path surface following the line of the original path and using similar materials to the original has been restored, as has the well stonework. A bridge in the style of the 1912 bridge and meeting modern Health and Safety and planning requirements has been built across the burn. A leaflet has been designed to accompany the project, and a path from the nearby village has been signposted and waymarkers installed along the route.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended)

Funder: Cairngorms National Park Authority, Awards for All Scotland, Heritage Paths, Cromar Community Council

Nigel Healey (Cromar History Group), 2008

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions