Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

West Linton, Lower Green, Gas Works

Gas Works (19-20th Century)

Site Name West Linton, Lower Green, Gas Works

Classification Gas Works (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) West Linton Gasworks

Canmore ID 294962

Site Number NT15SW 95

NGR NT 14920 51729

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/294962

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Linton (Tweeddale)
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT15SW 95 14920 51729

The gas works at West Linton was situated on the N part of the Lower Green. It is depicted as roofed on the 1st edition of the OS 25-inch map (Peeblesshire, 1855-56, sheet v) and annotated 'Gasometer' and 'Gas Works'. It is shown on subsequent editions through to the Revision edition of c.1915.

The Object Name Book of the Ordnance Survey describes the gas works as 'A small house at the North side of the Lower Green used for the manufacture of Gas and from which many of the inhabitants, who choose to pay for it are supplied with gas at the rate of 12s 6d per 1000 cubic feet. It is the property of the Linton Gas Company' (Name Book 1854).

The gas works have been demolished (possibly in the 1930's), and nothing can be seen at this location.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), June 2008

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions