Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Gladsmuir, East Adniston

Building (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Gladsmuir, East Adniston

Classification Building (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 294854

Site Number NT47SW 166

NGR NT 43121 73046

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/294854

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Gladsmuir
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT47SW 166 43121 73046

No traces now remain of the old mansion house of East Adniston, which stood on the farm of that name, at a spot about 1/4 mile from West Adniston (NT47SW 23) (ie at approximately NT 434 729). Formerly occupied by the proprietor, Mr Adniston, it was taken down in 1832, its materials being used in building the offices of Greendykes farm (at NT 436 736).

NSA 1845 (J Ramsay)

NT 43121 73046 In September 2005, the Group undertook an informal historic building recording at East Adniston,

Macmerry as part of an SMR Enhancement project. The building was rectangular, 20 x 5m, with a later extension to the S. It was built of sandstone, with dressed blocks at the corners and doorways. Only the E gable remains, and it shows that there would have been a second storey. Evidence for a substantial fireplace suggests that the kitchen was downstairs with the main hall immediately above. The remains of a spiral staircase can still be seen at the western end of the building. Remains of a well were visible adjacent to the house. East Adniston appears on Forrest's map of 1799 and Blaeu's map of 1654. Although the building remains have not been dated, they could relate to the late medieval laird's house at East Adniston.

Report deposited with RCAHMS. and East Lothian and Midlothian SMR.

Biddy Simpson, 2007.

Activities

Standing Building Recording (September 2005)

NT 43121 73046 In September 2005, the Group undertook an informal historic building recording at East Adniston, Macmerry as part of an SMR Enhancement project. The building was rectangular, 20 x 5m, with a later extension to the S. It was built of sandstone, with dressed blocks at the corners and doorways. Only the E gable remains, and it shows that there would have been a second storey. Evidence for a substantial fireplace suggests that the kitchen was downstairs with the main hall immediately above. The remains of a spiral staircase can still be seen at the western end of the building. Remains of a well were visible adjacent to the house. East Adniston appears on Forrest's map of 1799 and Blaeu's map of 1654. Although the building remains have not been dated, they could relate to the late medieval laird's house at East Adniston.

Report deposited with RCAHMS. and East Lothian and Midlothian SMR.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions