Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dalmeny Estate

Lithic Scatter (Prehistoric), Organic Material(S)

Site Name Dalmeny Estate

Classification Lithic Scatter (Prehistoric), Organic Material(S)

Canmore ID 294412

Site Number NT17NE 295

NGR NT 1870 7670

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/294412

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Dalmeny
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County West Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT17NE 295 1870 7670

NT 1870 7670 This excavation follows the analysis of the finds from two arable fieldwalking exercises (DES 1998, 33-4 and 1999, 43). Over 20 test pits measuring 0.5 x 0.5m were dug with the majority at 5m spacing in the 20 x 20m square, L 12, from which the largest number of lithics had been collected during the fieldwalking. Two pits, one well to the S and the other to the W, produced a few lithics, suggesting that Mesolithic activity had been concentrated on the raised ground on the W bank of the River Almond. Lithics similar to those found in the fieldwalking, cores, blades and microliths, were recovered from most pits to a depth of about 0.4m. Carbonised hazelnut shells were found in only one pit on the N side of square L 12 towards the edge of the old raised beach level.

Sponsor: The Rt Hon The Earl of Rosebery, Department of Archaeology University of Edinburgh, the City of

Edinburgh Council Archaeological Service, Edinburgh Archaeological Field Society.

H M D Jones, 2006.

Activities

Test Pit Survey

NT 1870 7670 This excavation follows the analysis of the finds from two arable fieldwalking exercises (DES 1998, 33-4 and 1999, 43). Over 20 test pits measuring 0.5 x 0.5m were dug with the majority at 5m spacing in the 20 x 20m square, L 12, from which the largest number of lithics had been collected during the fieldwalking. Two pits, one well to the S and the other to the W, produced a few lithics, suggesting that Mesolithic activity had been concentrated on the raised ground on the W bank of the River Almond. Lithics similar to those found in the fieldwalking, cores, blades and microliths, were recovered from most pits to a depth of about 0.4m. Carbonised hazelnut shells were found in only one pit on the N side of square L 12 towards the edge of the old raised beach level.

Sponsor: The Rt Hon The Earl of Rosebery, Department of Archaeology University of Edinburgh, the City of

Edinburgh Council Archaeological Service, Edinburgh Archaeological Field Society.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions