Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lochgilphead, Argyll Street, Baptist Church

Church (19th Century)

Site Name Lochgilphead, Argyll Street, Baptist Church

Classification Church (19th Century)

Canmore ID 293228

Site Number NR88NE 136

NGR NR 86244 88044

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/293228

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilmichael Glassary
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Activities

Field Visit (May 1986)

This modest early 19th-century chapel, which stands on the E side of Argyll Street, measures 15m from N to S by 10.7m transversely. It is constructed of snecked rubble and has a S entrance and three rectamngular windows in each side-wall. The wallhead was raised and the original hipped roof replaced by a gabled one at about the end of the 19th century, when the round-headed window in the N gable was probably built or enlarged, and the internal furnishings date from the same period.

The church was built in 1815 for the Revd Dugald Sinclair, pastor of a congregation originally founded in 1805 at Bellanoch on the Crinan Canal, who had conducted a notable series of evangelising tours in the West Highlands. He transferred the property in 1819 to ‘the Calvinistic Baptist Society at Lochgilphead’, but following a decline in numbers with the construction of a nearby Parliamentary church in 1828, Sinclair and many of his remaining congregation emigrated to Ontario in 1831. There was however a revival during the long pastorate of his successor and the building has remained in continuous use.

RCAHMS 1992, visited May 1986

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions