Cape Wrath, Dunan Mor, Signalling Station
Signal Station (Roman)
- Council Highland
- Parish Durness
- Former Region Highland
- Former District Sutherland
- Former County Sutherland
NC27SE 16 c. 2620 7447
NC 26194 74452. Remains of WWII coastguard station and 18th century Lloyds of London logging station. Both buildings although derelict are in a good state of preservation. The logging station (CWHI 27a) is contemporary wth the lighthouse and was built to track shipping around the cape. The coast guard station was built during the 1940's and was abandoned in the post war years. There is evidence of the addition of an observation platform being attached to the original 19th century buildings. This platform served as an observation point. There are several small buildings associated with the logging station. They too show signs of later occupation and reuse. The coast guard station appears to be marked on the Os maps but is not mentioned in the SMR.
R Street 2001, 18.
CWHI 27 World War II Coast Guard station. The building was built during the 1940s and used stone quarried locally for its construction. The position of the building commands an excellent vantage point of the coastline. The stone used in the building appears to have been obtained locally rather than imported and despite the lack of windows and doors the structure is in a good condition. The building immediately to the right of the main station building was used to house the laundry.
CWHI 27A 19th century logging station. This building was erected at the same time as the lighthouse (circa 1850). It was built by Lloyds of London so that they could track shipping around the Cape. There are several smaller buildings, which would have been used to house the observation platform of the day as well as the equipment the station crew would have needed. Interestingly enough the 19th century building was reused by the coastguard for their observation platform (the later addition can be seen on the buildings furthermost right corner). The building would have housed only two people. In contrast the WW II building is much larger and would have housed upwards of 15. Both buildings are marked on the OS maps of the area but this is the first time they have been recorded into the SMR for the area.
R Street 2001, 35-6.
The 2nd edition OS 25-inch map (Sutherland, 1908) depicts an Admiralty Signalling Station at this location. As the map evidence is unclear, it is uncertain whether the single-storey corrugated-steel roofed building which is extant at this location, and which is on the same alignment, is the remains of this station.
Information from RCAHMS (ITMP), January 2008.