Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Parkneuk

Four Poster Stone Circle (Bronze Age)

Site Name Parkneuk

Classification Four Poster Stone Circle (Bronze Age)

Alternative Name(s) Tullymurdoch

Canmore ID 29165

Site Number NO15SE 5

NGR NO 1953 5145

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/29165

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Bendochy
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO15SE 5 1953 5146.

(NO 1953 5146) Standing Stones (NR)

OS 6" map, Perthshire, 2nd ed. (1901)

A stone circle, the smaller of two groups of standing stones in the same strip of woodland. The ground plan shows the bases of three stones, A, B, and D, still erect and the contour of a fourth, C, which has fallen inwards. Probably its original position was at the cross marked C on the plan. The diameter of the circle is 19', enclosing a smooth, flat area. F R Coles 1909

'Four-poster' datable to c.1800 BC.

H A W Burl 1971

A four-poster as illustrated by Coles. There is no suggestion of a platform or mound. Three stones remain upright, the largest, 1.3m high, in the W.

Surveyed at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (AA) 25 October 1973

This four-poster stone circle lies on gently sloping rough pasture on the SW shoulder of an unnamed hill. Three stones (A, B and D) remains upright, while the fourth (C) has fallen. The stones are placed at the corners of a trapezium with the long axes of stones A, B and D parallel to the short axis of the setting. A and D are the largest stones, measuring 1.38m and 1.2m in height respectively, and B stands to a height of 0.9m. The upper parking stones of A and D have been revealed in sheep scrapes, and B has been damaged by a recent fire built against its inner face.

Visited by RCAHMS (JBS) October 1986.

RCAHMS 1990.

Activities

Field Visit (11 August 1942)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Emergency Survey (1942-3), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, vary from short notes to lengthy and full descriptions and are available to view online with contemporary sketches and photographs. The original typescripts, manuscripts, notebooks and photographs can also be consulted in the RCAHMS Search Room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 10 December 2014.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions