Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 1 Advocate's Close

Building (17th Century), Midden (Period Unassigned), Pit (Medieval)

Site Name Edinburgh, 1 Advocate's Close

Classification Building (17th Century), Midden (Period Unassigned), Pit (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) 357 High Street

Canmore ID 289437

Site Number NT27SE 5962

NGR NT 2569 7363

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/289437

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 5962 2569 7363

NT 2569 7363 A standing building survey and watching brief were carried out at No 1 Advocates Close, Edinburgh prior to a programme of site re-development into a domestic dwelling. The site was occupied by the remains of a 17th-century building that survived at first floor level with ashlar and roll-moulded stonework surrounding three blocked windows. Historical evidence shows this fabric was incorporated into a new tenement building that was demolished sometime before 1860 down to first floor level. The building remained a derelict shell with minor alterations for non-domestic use before the 1930s. An archaeological watching brief monitoring the removal of the internal deposits confirmed the presence of a coal bunker which suggests that the building had been used as a coal shed. A late medieval pit was identified below the coal bunker and contained midden material (pot bone and shell).

Sponsor: Station Properties Ltd

Dr M Cressey 2007

Activities

Watching Brief (3 April 2007)

NT 2569 7363 A Level 3 standing building survey and archaeological watching brief were carried out during April 2007 at 1 Advocate's Close, prior to a programme of redevelopment as a domestic dwelling. The site was occupied by the remains of a 17th-century building that survived at first floor level with ashlar and roll-moulded stonework surrounding three blocked windows.

Historical evidence shows this fabric was incorporated into a new tenement building that was demolished down to first floor level some time before 1860. The building remained a derelict shell with minor alterations for non-domestic use before the 1930s. An archaeological watching brief monitoring the removal of the

internal deposits confirmed the presence of a coal bunker. A late medieval pit was identified below the coal bunker and contained midden material (pot, bone and shell).

Report deposited with CECAS. Archive to be deposited with RCAHMS.

Funder: Station Properties Ltd.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions