Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Conaglen House, Formal Garden

Formal Garden (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Conaglen House, Formal Garden

Classification Formal Garden (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 289154

Site Number NN06NW 2.01

NGR NN 0267 6910

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/289154

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Ardgour
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Argyll

Recording Your Heritage Online

Conaglen House, David Bryce, 1862 Shooting lodge built for Lord Morton, the principal feature of its main block being Bryce's trademark full-height canted bay, crisply corbelled out to form a crowstepped gable. Extensive lower ranges included a smoking room extension to the north west, c.1920, and a chapel by the entrance (removed early 1950s, when fittings were transferred to Ardgour Church). Detached service block with central arched pend looks earlier. Sited at the junction of Glens Cona and Scaddle, where their converging waters run into Inverscaddle Bay, Conaglen replaced the old Maclean tacksman's house of Inverscaddle, fragments of which have recently been discovered in the kitchen wing. Here, in 1828, Glengarry (see p.74) died of an injury sustained during a shipwreck.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions