Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Blairhullichan, Loch Katrine Aqueduct, Stone

Stone (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Blairhullichan, Loch Katrine Aqueduct, Stone

Classification Stone (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Glasgow Corporation Waterworks Loch Katrine Scheme

Canmore ID 284266

Site Number NN40SW 23.20

NGR NN 4439 0178

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/284266

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Aberfoyle
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN40SW 23.20 44390 01785

For general summary of Loch Katrine (reservoir), see NN41SW 29.

Stone [NAT] (centred NN 44390 01785)

OS 1:10,000 map, (undated).

The growth of Glasgow and the subsequent need for unpolluted water for both human and industrial consumption, resulted in the decision to build an aqueduct to provide water to the city. Loch Katrine was chosen to be the source of the supply. The system was inaugurated by Queen Victoria on the 14 October 1859. By 1883 an additional supply from Loch Katrine was needed due to the increased consumption of water by the city. An additional aqueduct was constructed in 1885. The new system, measuring 23.5 miles in length, was officially opened on 21st June 1901.

Glasgow Corporation Water-Works 1909

Loch Katrine aqueduct, stone: (J Muylle numbering = Id 103) originally dates from 1855 phase of aqueduct construction. This is a classic stone design from this phase of construction and marks the start of aqueduct path deviation.

Information from Jelle Muylle, engineer carrying out a survey of all structures relating to the Glasgow Corporation Loch Katrine Waterworks Scheme, 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions