Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Perth, St John's Place

Coin Hoard (Medieval)

Site Name Perth, St John's Place

Classification Coin Hoard (Medieval)

Canmore ID 28405

Site Number NO12SW 4

NGR NO 1185 2360

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/28405

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Perth
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO12SW 4 1185 2360.

During the autumn of 1920 while excavating the foundations of a new cinema at the corner of St John's Place and King Edward Street in Perth a hoard of 1,128 coins, 18 gold, 611 silver and 499 billon was discovered within a few inches of the surface on the northern boundary of the site. The coins are dateable between 1249 and 1513 AD.

In a deposit over 6ft of accumulated refuse many fragments of medieval glazed pottery, animal bones, shells, pieces of leather and of iron. In the bottom of the excavations several wooden piles were exposed, still retaining the round tenans of cross wooden ties. Towards the south-east corner of the area a tripod pot of bronze, with the remains of its iron bow-handle still attached was unearthed. The site which is barely 100 yards north-west of St. John's Church (Perth 98NW 67) was known as Little College Yard.

Antiq J 1921.

The date of the find was 2nd August, 1920 and the location near the north side of the near building site, and immediately to the east of the Guild Hall Close, 18 inches below the surface.

G Macdonald 1921.

Sited by Mrs M E C Stewart corrected to NO 1185 2360 - now occupied by a modern store.

Visited by OS (J L D) 13 December 1960.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions