Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Croftmaquien

Farmstead (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Croftmaquien

Classification Farmstead (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Croftmaqueen

Canmore ID 283293

Site Number NJ02SW 69

NGR NJ 0225 2109

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/283293

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Abernethy And Kincardine
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Badenoch And Strathspey
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NJ02SW 69 NJ 0225 2109.

Croftmaquien is no longer a working farm, but the farmhouse and one of the outbuildings have been converted into holiday accommodation; these buildings were not recorded in detail on the date of visit. As depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1874, sheet XLVIA), the farmstead comprised six buildings, including the farmhouse at the NE end and a building containing a limekiln at the SW end. This depiction of a limekiln is probably erroneous, and the structure was probably a kiln-barn, though this cannot now be verified. Only four buildings are shown roofed on the 2nd edition of the map (1902, sheet XLVIA).

Croftmaqueen is recorded in the Ordnance Survey Name Book (Inverness-shire No. 1, p.50) as 'a small farmsteading, dwelling house one storey with a few small offices one storey each, all thatched and in bad repair. Occupied by Mr William Murray. The property of the Earl of Seafield -- Castle Grant'.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) 26 September 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions