Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Perth, High Street, Market Cross

Market Cross (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Perth, High Street, Market Cross

Classification Market Cross (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Kirkgate; Skinnergate

Canmore ID 28310

Site Number NO12SW 150

NGR NO 1195 2363

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/28310

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Perth
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO12SW 150 1195 2363

See also ND15SW 16.01 and NO22NW 7.01.

Perth market cross stood in the middle of the High Street between Kirkgate and Skinnergate. It is unknown when it was first erected. Cromwell ordered its demolition to supply building material for his citadel (NO12SW 22). A replacement cross, erected in 1669, was taken down in 1765. (Removed to Dale House, Caithness and subsequently to Fingask Castle, Perthshire - See ND15SW 16.01 and NO22NW 7.01) Horns, animal bone, shells and a plank of wood were found in a deep hole at this site. (Information from press cutting held in Perth Museum).

L Blanchard 1979.

This cross now stands (at NO 2280 2744) on the lawn due S of Fingask Castle; see NO22NW 7.01.

Visited by RCAHMS (IMS) 21 June 1989.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions