Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Perth, 53-73 Kinnoull Street

No Class (Event)

Site Name Perth, 53-73 Kinnoull Street

Classification No Class (Event)

Canmore ID 28292

Site Number NO12SW 135

NGR NO 1168 2385

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/28292

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Perth
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO12SW 135 1168 2385

See also NO12SW 213.

Excavations were carried out from November 1983 to February 1984. Foundations of two stone buildings were excavated, one of them a cellar or undercroft, 2.5m deep. Demolition material, including fragments of stained glass and wall plaster. Also found were 14th and 15th century pottery, 15th century coins, 13th century jettons, and fragments of a terracotta figurine in the local fabric. All these things appear to be related to the Dominician friary (NO12SW 6). The associated graveyard produced at least 42 burials. These overlay two large U-profile ditches of unknown use.

D Bowler and D Hall 1984.

Excavations in 1983 located the remains of the Dominican Friary (NO12SW 6) and part of the monastic cemetery (NO12SW 213). Earlier than the friary was a large ditch of unknown function, perhaps Roman in date. A later ditch was probably part of a Jacobite earthwork. Remains of 19th century workshops were also found.

D Bowler, A Cox and C Smith 1995.

The excavation archive from Perth, 53-73 Kinnoull Street has been catalogued. The archive consists of manuscripts, negatives and slides, plus drawings intended for publication. The original pencil drawings and the drawings register are missing from the archive.

Historic Scotland Archive Project (SW) 2002

Archive accumulated for the second Perth Monograph in the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Monograph Series has been catalogued. The topic of the monograph was four excavations in Perth between 1979-1984 (21-22 Mill Street; 53-73 Kinnoull Street; 116-132 High Street; North Port, Blackfriars House). The monograph was never published and synopsis of the four excavations appeared in the Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 125 (1995). The archive includes the text for the monograph plus specialist reports, drawings considered and intended for publication, rough drafts and notes, and correspondence.

Historic Scotland Archive Project (SW) 2002

NO 117 238 (centre) Archaeological investigation was undertaken at the site adjacent to the Dominican Friary (NO12SW 6). A watching brief in May 2002 and the excavation of an evaluation trench revealed three main archaeological phases. Phase 1 comprised medieval garden soil and two ditch features. Phase 2 comprised the remains of pre-modern buildings with pantile roofs, probably mainly industrial, a cobbled floor, and a well. Phase 3 revealed the below-ground brick-built tanks and massive pillar bases of the Pullars cleaning and dyeworks and subsequent refurbishment for Prestos supermarket.

From April to June 2004, during a watching brief on the groundworks for the new build, medieval garden soil was investigated but no further evidence of the medieval ditches was revealed.

Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.

Sponsor: Mansell Partnership Homes Ltd.

R Cachart 2004

Activities

Watching Brief (19 February 2014 - 20 February 2014)

Alder Archaeology Ltd carried out an archaeological watching brief at Carpenter Street, Perth prior to the development of a new electricity substation.

Alder Archaeology Ltd, 2014

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions