Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Skye, Portree, Home Farm

Cremation (Period Unassigned), Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Settlement (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Skye, Portree, Home Farm

Classification Cremation (Period Unassigned), Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Settlement (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 282720

Site Number NG44SE 101

NGR NG 4780 4434

NGR Description 4780 4434 (centre).

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/282720

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Portree
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NG44SE 101 NG 4780 4434

Trial trenching was undertaken in February and March 2005 within the improved lands of Home Farm on the northern outskirts of Portree. Ninety trenches covering 11,037m2 (5% of the development area) were excavated. The evaluation led to the discovery of a segmented partial enclosure ditch similar to that recorded at Holly Road, Leven, Fife. This was associated with a pit containing an unurned deposit of cremated bone and several other similar features. Nearby was a small stone cairn sealing a deposit of charcoal and cremated bone.

Also discovered were a suite of post-medieval remains comprising four turf and stone structures, a sub-rectangular enclosure, a well, an area of broad rig and several enigmatic features. All were cut by the field system associated with Home Farm which was built c 1850.

Archive to be deposited in NMRS.

Sponsor: Robertson Homes.

I Suddaby 2005

NG44SE 101 NG 477 443

An excavation was carried out between July and September 2005 within fields to the N of Portree in advance of development for housing. Selected areas where significant archaeological potential had been identified in an earlier evaluation (see above) were investigated.

A group of post-medieval stone and turf buildings was investigated in two trenches in the NW part of the site, on lower ground close to the River Leasgeary. The remains appear to be part of a settlement named as Lisigearrigh on an early 19th-century estate plan, replaced by a single-tenant farm (Home Farm) by 1810. Four trenches were opened:

NG 4767 4431 A dwelling house with a sub-rectangular annexe at one end produced evidence for 18th-century occupation including ceramics, slate and glass. It was overlain by a stone-faced bank that formed part of the field system of Home Farm. Sections were also excavated across a rectangular enclosure beside the house, interpreted as a kailyard.

NG 4769 4433 Footings of two buildings, one of which appears to have replaced the other, with most of the stones from the earlier structure being robbed. A stone-built hearth was present in the earlier building, but not in the later one, which was probably an outbuilding.

NG 4779 4428 An area opened up further S contained the footings of two stone structures. A feature identified as a cairn in the evaluation proved on excavation to be the footings of an oval building, overall 5 x 2.5m, with a doorway in one end facing NW. A poorly defined structure of a similar size, located in an elevated position to the S, was identified as a kiln barn, with evidence for at least two phases of construction. Both structures were associated with sherds of hand-made pottery, which has been identified as traditional Hebridean 'craggan ware', and are thought to represent part of an earlier post-medieval phase in the life of the settlement. Other features in this trench, all of which remain undated, included a shallow ditch, an oval post-built structure and further groupings of post-holes.

NG 4792 4428 A group of very ephemeral hollows, scattered post-holes and a pit. Two small sherds of hand-made pottery were recovered nearby. These features may represent part of a prehistoric settlement.

Report lodged with Highland SMR.

Sponsor: Highland Council.

P Masser 2005

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions