Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 3, 4 Bristo Port, J Donald & Co, China, Glass And Earthenware Merchants Mercahnts

Shop (19th Century), Tenement (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 3, 4 Bristo Port, J Donald & Co, China, Glass And Earthenware Merchants Mercahnts

Classification Shop (19th Century), Tenement (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Bristo Place; Bristo Street

Canmore ID 282574

Site Number NT27SE 5947

NGR NT 25761 73250

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/282574

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 5947 25761 73250

See also NT27SE 5074 and NT27SE 5084

Three floors, of which two have crane hoist doors. Commercial premises (China merchants) since c.1850. Internally linked to 8,9 and 10 Bristo Place, formerly 3 Bristo Street (NT27SE 5074).

Possible site of George Inn (NT25449 73244) shown on a 1784 plan of Edinburgh by Kincaid where stage coaches departed for the south and London.

The three storey building is of a different period to that adjacent (8-10 Bristo Place), and the external division is clearly seen in Bristo Port. Internally the ground floor is at a different level to that of the Bristo Place front shop. The cellar is in two sections, that to the S has an arch in brick whilst that to the N is of stone. The wall at the N end is an addition suggesting that the cellar originally went under the street. On the E side of the cellar is a short stub wall and two stone pillars on pads support the floor above.

The upper floors apart from the crane hoist windows lack significant detail apart from fireplaces and on the 2nd floor a 'Celtic' design frieze with a similar design of mongram in a wall press and on a mahogany table.

A narrow open space survives on the E side, possibly a survival from the George Inn.

Visited by RCAHMS (DE, SG), October 2006

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions