Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inchyra Harbour

Harbour (Period Unassigned), Pier (Period Unassigned), Quay (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Inchyra Harbour

Classification Harbour (Period Unassigned), Pier (Period Unassigned), Quay (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) River Tay; Inchyra, Pier; Cairnie Pow

Canmore ID 28233

Site Number NO12SE 43

NGR NO 1829 2023

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2023.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish St Madoes
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO12SE 43 1829 2023

For adjoining village, see NO12SE 105.

(Location cited as NO 183 203). This harbour was described in 1792 as 'tolerable good' and in 1843 as being more conveniently situated for the adjoining parish of Kinfauns than two harbours of its own, which had been 'rendered nearly useless by the late improvements'. The harbours in question were probably at Seggieden and Tofthill.

Inchyra harbour is in the mouth of Cairnie Pow, and consists of a pier projecting into the Tay and a quay formed by a facing-wall which continues the E face of the pier inland along the curving right bank of the pow. The OS map of 1860-2 shows the pier as being about 230ft (70.1m) long on its W side, and the pier and quay together, on the E, as being over 300 ft (91.5m) with a breadth of 80 ft (24.4m) to landward and of 25 ft (7.6m) at the outer end.

Today, however, reeds, herbage and turf disguise most of the structure apart from the some 165 ft (50.3m) of the facing-wall and the outermost 55 ft (16.8m) of the pier. This portion is built of large dressed slabs and blocks, without iron cramps; the end, which is squared, has in its centre a flight of steps 4 ft (1.2m) wide. The masonry of the facing-wall is also well squared and neatly laid.

A ferry formerly crossed the Tay from Inchyra, but is said locally to have been discontinued before 1914. The opposite terminal appears to have been the mouth of a small stream, dry when visited, below Muirhead (NO 181 099), but no artifical works were found there.

A Graham 1971.

(Location cited as NO 183 203, with village). The small rubble pier is now used by a yacht club.

J R Hume 1977.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions