Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Neilston, Double Hedges Road, Civilian Transit Camp

Military Camp (20th Century)

Site Name Neilston, Double Hedges Road, Civilian Transit Camp

Classification Military Camp (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Kingston Road; Kingston Avenue

Canmore ID 282155

Site Number NS45NE 93

NGR NS 4765 5660

NGR Description Centred NS 4765 5660

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/282155

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Renfrewshire
  • Parish Neilston (Renfrew)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Renfrew
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS45NE 93 centred 4765 5660

For second civilian transit camp, see NS36NE 145.

A hutted camp has been identified from vertical air photographs (106G/Scot/UK 84, 3033-3034, flown 10 May 1946), about 250m SW of Neilston railway station (NS45NE 80) and on two sides of Double Hedges Road and N of Kingston Road.

At least 48 pitched roof huts have been identified laid out in 'streets' around a centrally placed 'T' shaped building, possibly used as a mess and entertainment hall.

The camp was built to house civilian evacuees from Gibralter, displaced at the start of the Second World War. The camp was probably occupied from 1944 after the evacuees had been moved from London following the flying bomb raids on the city. This camp and another at Bridge of Weir (NS36NE 145) housed up to 6,000 people.

The site is now occupied by postwar housing in Kingston Avenue.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), July 2006; J Gingell via letter to RCAHMS, 7 July 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions