Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


No Class

Site Name Rhynd

Classification No Class

Alternative Name(s) Rindalgros; Rindelgros; Rindelcross

Canmore ID 28204

Site Number NO12SE 18

NGR NO 15 20

NGR Description NO c. 15 20

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Rhynd
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO12SE 18 15 20.

For possible church at Easter Rhynd (NO 18 18), see NO11NE 79.

Various 12th century charters suggest that Benedictine Monks were settled at Rindalgros, Rindelgros, Rindelcross or Rhynd (NO 1520). It is unlikely that a monastery was built, and if the monks came at all, their stay was brief, since in 1231, the parish church of Rhynd was held by the monks of the Isle of May.

D E Easson 1957.

The present parish church of Rhynd (NO12SE 45) at NO 1564 2036, was built in 1842. No church was on this site previously. Before 1842 the parish church was at Easter Rhynd. No further information, re a monastery, etc.

Visited by OS (R D L) 11 June 1964; Information from Rev Houston, Rhynd.

Although charter evidence may suggest the presence of Benedictine monks at Rhynd, there is no trace of any structures associated with a monastic occupation. There is nothing to add to the existing record.

Information from RCAHMS (JRS), 6 March 1997.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions