Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Thirl Stone

Market Place (Post Medieval), Stone (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Thirl Stone

Classification Market Place (Post Medieval), Stone (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 28083

Site Number NO11SE 6

NGR NO 1969 1382

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/28083

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Auchtermuchty
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO11SE 6 1969 1382.

(NO 1969 1382) Thirl Stone (NR)

OS 6"map, (1959)

Thirl Stone marks the spot where it is supposed the inhabitants of Abernethy and the adjoining parish (Auchtermuchty) used to hold their markets. In the centre of the stone is an upright beam to support their scales.

Name Book 1860.

The Thirl Stone is a roughly rectangular block, 0.8m long by 0.6m wide and 0.4m thick. There is a well made circular socket in one face of the stone, about 0.13m diameter and 0.05m deep.

Resurveyed at 1/2500

Visited by OS (J T T) 3 August 1965.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions