Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Balcanquhal

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Balcanquhal

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 28072

Site Number NO11SE 2

NGR NO 16 10

NGR Description NO c. 16 10

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/28072

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Strathmiglo
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO11SE 2 c. 16 10

See also NO11SE 5.

'The tower at Balcanquhal, which was in existence at the close of the 15th century, was the principal seat of the proprietor of the lands of Balcanquhal, Carmore and Corrinzion'.

A H Millar 1895.

A charter by James V, dated at Edinburgh 9th May 1527, confirmed to Alexander 'Balcancoll' 'he lands of Balcancoll with the tower and mill. Another charter dated at Holyrood House, Edinburgh, 19th November 1581, again mentions 'the tower and mill' of Balconquhal.

Reg Magni Sig Reg Scot 1984.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions